Since the latest OU Desire2Learn upgrade on Sunday, November 4th, we have heard a number of concerns related to the changes in functionality with the email tool. OU Desire2Learn now adds email addresses to the BCC (blind carbon copy) field by default when initiated from tools within a course (Roster, Grades, Dropbox, etc.). The change was implemented to assist in preventing possible FERPA violations by masking all recipients. We are listening to our users and understand that this change has caused a number of you frustration. In order to ensure student privacy and assist instructor’s with FERPA compliance, no changes will be made to the default setting; however, below you will find a workaround!
BCC Email Notes:
- All recipients receive the email as they did prior, however they cannot view other recipients listed in the BCC field (removing the ability to reply-all)
- By default, OU Desire2Learn retains a copy of sent mail, including the message content and TO/CC/BCC recipients
If desired, it is still possible to email your course utilizing the TO field (instead of BCC). To achieve this, please follow the steps (or view the video) shown below:
- Go into the course
- Click on the message alert icon in the top grey minibar (the first alert icon)
- Click Compose Email.
- Click Address Book (you will now see a list of students in the course)
- Select the checkbox next to TO and it will select all of the students (be sure to update the “per page” dropdown to get all the students)
- Click the TO link
- If there’s more than one page of students, proceed to the next page and repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Click Add Recipients (everyone should now appear in the TO field)
- Compose the email and click Send